We often think of weight loss as a physical process, but it’s much more than that. The mind plays a significant role in how our body reacts to food and exercise. Studies have shown that if you feel good about yourself and your body image, your chances of success go way up! So here are four easy ways to help you ensure your mindset game is on point when trying to lose weight.
Give Yourself A Break
When you’re trying to lose weight, it’s easy to get discouraged if you don’t see immediate results. However, it’s important to give yourself a break and not beat yourself up if this happens. It often takes time for your body to adjust to your new lifestyle and make adjustments accordingly.
Keep moving forward toward your goal, and know that every step forward is one step closer to your victory. If you have setbacks (like eating something unhealthy or missing a workout), keep them from distracting your progress! Remind yourself that many things are great even though things about life may need improving. Do not focus too much on the negatives in your life, but rather on the positives. You are awesome.
Affirmations are positive statements that you repeat to yourself. They help you to focus on the positive and can be about your weight loss journey or personal growth.
For example, if you want to affirm that “I am losing weight,” this will not help you lose weight – it will just make it more likely for you to feel stressed about not being able to lose weight. As a result of this stress (and the accompanying cortisol release), your body may actually hold onto fat stores instead of burning them off!
Instead, try something like “I am getting stronger every day” or “I am getting healthier every day”; even better, “I have lost 5 pounds! My friends noticed when they saw me last week at work; that makes me happy!”
Celebrating Your Wins!
- Celebrate your wins!
- Try not to dwell on the negative.
- Try not to compare yourself to others, or even more importantly, don’t compare your “before” picture with their “after” picture.
- Try not to focus on the scale (or any other number).
- Do not strive for perfection – perfection is overrated and unattainable anyway! Instead of striving to be perfect, focus on making better choices each day because every choice contributes to achieving our goal of becoming healthier versions of ourselves.
Self-care is a critical practice for maintaining your health, well-being, and weight loss. Here’s how to incorporate self-care into your life:
- Take time every day to relax and unwind. Try stretching, meditating, or reading a book in a quiet space.
- Commit to doing at least one thing that you enjoy each day—for example, spending time with friends or loved ones going out for tea, or taking part in an activity that makes you feel good (such as going for a walk).
- Reflect on what you have achieved so far in terms of weight loss—how far have you come? What challenges have you been able to conquer? What are some of the things that have supported your success? Remembering these things can help keep us motivated when progress slows down.
- Be grateful! Gratitude is another way of acknowledging our achievements and realizing where we want to take our lives next.
Weight Loss Is Not Just a Physical Process; It Is Also Mental
- While weight loss is not only a physical process, it’s also mental. To change your mindset, learn how your body feels when hungry and what triggers it.
- When we’re hungry, our bodies release hormones that tell us we need food. We get thirsty too! You may feel tired during the day if you don’t eat enough calories or protein at meal times.
- By practicing self-care techniques such as eating healthy meals every day and finding ways to make physical activity fun, like playing basketball with friends or going for an intense walk, it is possible to ensure that our bodies stay healthy while simultaneously losing weight effectively.
A Few Points To Keep In Mind
When it comes to weight loss, it is important to remember that this journey is not just physical but also about mindset as well. A healthy mindset is a foundation for a successful weight loss journey. Maintaining a healthy body and losing weight can be possible by practicing self-care techniques such as eating healthy meals daily and finding ways to enjoy movement.
GET EVEN HEALTHIER!
Are you curious about how easy changes can affect your health? Let us chat! Schedule an initial discovery session with me today.